Thursday, December 6, 2018

Being a Coeliac sucks

Georgie and I were diagnosed with Coeliac disease over a year ago. I by accident and Georgie got tested purely because of my diagnosis.

Neither of us had (or have) any outward symptoms of the disease. Just the massive the damage gluten was doing on the inside of our bodies.

I suspect it's been  in my dad's side of the family for years. My Uncle Barry is a Coeliac and is the only other one in the family. However dad's brother and his father died of cancer. Untreated coeliac disease can lead to cancer, most commonly non Hodgkin's lymphoma. So potentially if they were silent coeliac's (no symptoms) like Georgie and I they would never had known anything was wrong.

Cross contamination seems ridiculous but we have to take it seriously. I have to have my own toaster, my own cutting board, my own butter. blah blah blah

I can't just grab something to eat when I'm out - no sandwiches, pies, hamburgers, hot chicken. I can maybe eat SOME sushi if they don't use mayonnaise and rice paper rolls (after checking what the meat was flavoured with). Even breakfast cereal is no longer an option.

Gluten is in everything, sauces, gravy, marinades, salad dressing, vegimite (FFS), hot chips, lollies/chocolates the list is fucking endless.

GF bread is SHIT,  some is manageable when toasted but it's still shit.

I hate that this life style has been imposed upon me! I had no idea getting something to eat could be so difficult -  home is ok, it's controllable, eating out is often frustrating and disappointing  - travelling and trying to find food is exhausting for the entire family!

To be honest I think Georgie manages it better than me, I'm still bitter as fuck about it :-(
Yes I know, it's not helpful....................I'm working on it

And to those people who say to me "it could be worse", Ï'm mostly gluten free" and "I LOVE gluten free bread"

There is ALWAYS someone worse off then you, but it does not detract from how I feel.

Please don't compare your "MOSTLY GLUTEN FREE" self  to me.

It's easy to LIKE "gluten free bread" when you have the luxury of choice.

1 comment:

Kim Hunter said...

You're one of the strongest people I know. You haven't mentioned it lately so I'm figuring you have overcome, like I knew you would.